Sunday, September 16, 2012

Good Sunday Morning Everyone,
Hope you are having a nice weekend. Fall is certainly in the air. Cooler temps in the mornings now with very enjoyable days.
I have been busy around the house preparing for the delivery of my Innova Longarm quilting machine. We have been moving stuff out of our spare room in the basement so we can turn that room into the extra bedroom. Then we were bringing book shelves from the basement upstairs to use in my quilting room. The room is all cleared out now except for the book shelves.


I'm really getting excited about it. I never, ever, thought a few years ago I'd be quilting much less purchasing a longarm.  I always loved looking at quilts and admiring the workmanship, but as I said before, mom was the quilter, I was the cross stitcher. I'm not sure what happened other than Mom had so much stuff I couldn't bear to get rid of it. I really think she sent her quilting spirit onto me as she passed. I mean what else could it be?? Whatever it was, I'm sure she's excited to see how much I'm enjoying the craft. And happy we didn't just get rid of what she loved to do.
I started a new quilting class this last week at AppleTree Quilting and here a pic of the quilt we are making.


Also here's the fabrics I'm using. I have my home work all finished with square in squares and 4 patches ready for the next step.

Here's something else I'm working on. Autumn Breeze Tablerunner.

It's from the Aug 2012 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine.
I took the magazine on vacation to look at while riding and loved the tablerunner I found in it.
I was able to find all the fabrics while vacationing except for the solid background fabric which I found when we got home at our local WalMart.
Then another project that's been going on for the last year or so is Grandmother's Flower Garden.
Here it is yesterday when I was laying them out on our bed. I had the sheets off  for laundering so you can see the white mattress cover under it. I didn't want to sew all the green on at the very last so I've been doing some from time to time. When I get ready to start sewing all the flowers together, I'm going to have to add more green hexagons in the spots you see the white now. And I have to figure out the color placement of the flowers too. I'm guessing I still have about 60 more flowers plus the greens for it to fit our queen size bed. The worse part is that I've been working on this so much, I think I have developed tennis elbox.

Now for my last show and tell.
Steve bought this very ugly sewing box for me at a garage sale. It was full of sewing "stuff". Some junk, some keepers. He only gave $1.00 for the whole thing.

 It was covered with vinyl and the fabric on the inside was so old.
But I saw potential with it anyway. I started tearing it apart keeping everything for a pattern.



So here is the finished project.

You really can't see the pockets on the top when I took the picture so I stuck a couple of small books in them to show them off.
I really like the trim I chose.
So when all was said and done, my $1.00 garage sale find ended up costing me 26.00. Finding the outer fabric on clearance was what helped out to keep the cost down.
That's going to be about all for today. Have a great week.
Deana

1 comment: