Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I finished my year long stitch a long 3 months over the deadline but at least it's finished.
Here's the finished product.

I change alot on it. The pattern calls for tiny buttons but decided to use buttons along with a few beads. I think the gold beads on March turned out cute. Also gave the sunflowers a couple of buttons each, now they look like they have little faces.
The picture of November came out blurry so I just have December to show you.



I bought some fabrics while on vacation back in October last year that I loved. All florals that I could just see made into a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt.
Steve left Thursday for his yearly snagging trip. (For those who don't know what snagging is, they ride around in a boat dragging these big fishing lines behind the boat with huge hooks on them to try to "snag" spoonbill.) They are a large fish that kind of reminds you of a swordfish. A few days before he was to leave I mentioned the quilt that I have not started yet and Steve told me this would be a good weekend to start it. Home alone for 4 days. I could really stay with it. So I prewashed all the fabrics, and started cutting some strips then cutting the strips down to size. I have not stitched a flower garden before, but from everything I read, they go together best if you do the English paper piecing. You have to cut perfect hexagons from paper for each piece. Then sew the fabric to each paper. Now I spent all Thursday evening trying to get the perfect hexagon pattern and with each try they were always off on one side or another. I did find a website with free hexagon patterns but my printer and laptop are still ticked off at each other so I just waited until the next day and printed a copy at work. Friday night, after running several copies of hexagons on cardstock I started cutting them out. I finished my first flower. WOHOO! It was very fun!

I finished 2 more since then.
The threads on top of the flower will be taken out after the flowers are sewn to each other. I am planning on this being a quilt for our queen size bed. Now how many years will that take to finish????
Saturday morning, I got up, started laundry, played with fabric, cross stitched a little and then about 2:30pm I wasn't feeling too great.
Sat. night I had a very important date at the school dance with my 6 year old grandson, Austin.
A couple of hours after the blahs set in, I knew I wasn't going anywhere. I hated to make that call and back out. Austin was so excited for me to come.
Good thing I didn't go. I continued to get worse and spent most of the night on the bathroom floor with my pillow and blanket. By Sunday morning, I wasn't quite back to normal but a lot better. Spent Sunday on the couch until Steve came home. So an exciting weekend sort of fizzled out. It was pretty disapointing.
Steve's knee surgery is this coming Monday so I will be busy with him the next couple of weeks. I will try to post but I'll have to see how things go.
Until next time.
Have fun.
Deana

No comments:

Post a Comment